Knowing God through his direction
2 THESSALONIANS 3:5
Adoration
Holy God, You always provide a light to direct me and guide me on the path You know is the best one for me to take. I lift Your name in praise, knowing I can depend on You to show the way. I honour You, for Your wisdom stretches into the future to guide and direct according to the best possible outcome for all. I love You, God, and I want to know how to follow You better.
Let the glory due You overshadow the doubts that plague humanity's heart. Break through to show us the way toward life, peace, and love. May You receive the praise You deserve and bask in the love that is Yours as You guide us in the ways we should go.
Confession
Father, You know the way I am to go, which will lead me to fulfill the purpose You have established for me on earth. You know the path I should take and the decisions I should make that will enable me to live out my destiny. And yet, even though I know this about You, I often choose my own way and my own leading over Yours.
Forgive me for this shortsightedness, which limits my own potential. Forgive me for the pride that wells up within me, causing me to think I may know better than You, rather than truly seeking Your guidance and direction each step of the way.
Thanksgiving
Lord, thank You for guiding me with patience, understanding, peace, and love. Thank You for guiding me with wisdom and kindness. You do not guide me into the dangerous aspects of life unless You have a purpose for me to learn in those experiences. You do not guide me toward pointless activities or endless pursuits that add up to meaninglessness. Rather, You guide me toward that which produces spiritual growth and development, and I thank You. You guide me toward that which produces life and hope.
Thank You for the wisdom of Your direction and for making me aware of how to access Your guidance through Your loving Word.
Supplication
Loving God, I ask for Your guidance on the specific aspects of my life. I realize when I need to ask You to guide me for major decisions, but far too often I leave You out of the planning of daily activities or even out of my conversations with others.
I want You to guide me on what to say so my words are ministers of grace seasoned with love to those who hear them. I want You to guide me on how to spend my time each day, so I’m using it wisely to advance Your kingdom and develop my own spiritual maturity. I ask You to guide me on all my choices, big and small ones, and even on what I engage in for entertainment.
Guide all aspects of my life, Lord. Teach me how to hear Your guidance more clearly and yield to Your leading.
In the powerful name of Jesus Christ, I pray all these things concerning Your gift of direction. Amen
Evans, T. (2021). Prayers for Knowing God (pp. 95–98). Harvest House Publishers.
