I AM



God’s answer to Moses was unmistakably clear, taken quite literally, and without any of the emendation, ingenious substitution, or imaginative imposition that have frequently been heaped upon it “ʾEhyeh, ʾasher ʾehyeh,” God says, “I AM the One Who Always Is.” This response is anticipated by God’s emphatic “I AM” in 3:12 and echoed by his statement to Moses for Israel at the end of 3:14, “I AM has sent me forth to you.” More literally still, the answer of 3:14 is “I AM that I AM,” or even “I AM always I AM.” ʾEhyeh occurs once in 3:12, and three times in 3:14, and becomes the basis for the revelation of the tetragram YHWH, a name generally transliterated “Yahweh,” in 3:15.


Durham, J. (1990). Exodus (pp. 23–24). Zondervan Academic.

Popular posts from this blog

Speaking in tongues for today - Charles Stanley

What is the glory (kabod) of God?

The Holy Spirit causes us to cry out: Abba, Father